Please see: GIT - 1.4 - Release Notes for more information.
This extension provides the means to extract source code from a GIT repository. In other words, file based source code that does not reside in a simple local or network folder. This extension is similar in function to the extractors for SVN and TFS that are provided "out of the box" in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool.
In what situation should you install this extension?
This extension should be used when you want to extract file based source code that is stored in a GIT repository.
- The extension does not contain a source code "discoverer" (to determine the type of source code project) and therefore relies on other discoverers that are already installed in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool to do so.
- This extension supports both local and remote GIT repositories:
- The URL format for a local folder should be for example C:/[path]/.git.
- For remote repositories, http/https and SSH protocols are supported, however the remote repositories are cloned to the hard drive on which the CAST Delivery Manager Tool is being run from. The %TEMP% folder is used to store the cloned repository. When the packaging action has been completed in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool, the cloned repository will be removed from the local disk.
- With regard to SSH protocol, you must ensure that you have an SSH key setup already in your GITHub account for the machine on which you will run the extension via the CAST Delivery Manager Tool. If the key is not set up and you attempt to use the SSH protocol, then an error message will be displayed.
- Browse option is not supported for GIT as there is no API available from GIT vendors to browse folders remotely.
Supported GIT hosting sites
CAST AIP compatibility
CAST AIP release
Download and installation instructions
- This extension contains a File extractor and you should take note of the specific instructions in the installation guide that explains how to package your source code with the CAST Delivery Manager Tool when you have an existing Version.
- The latest release status of this extension can be seen when downloading it from the CAST Extend server.
The following screen shots show the differences in the product when the extension is installed:
- In the CAST Delivery Manager Tool a new entry called "GIT" will be added to the Add Package wizard:
- When selected the above item provides the following screen with the GIT Repository option already selected:
- The Package Configuration tab then offers the following interface to access your GIT repository:
Enter the direct URL for your Git repository in the form:
Enter the commit hash of the revision you want to extract. If omitted, the HEAD revision of the selected branch is chosen.
If the code you require is located in a specific GIT branch, enter the branch name here to ensure that the code from that branch is extracted. If omitted, the default main branch will be used.
When this option is unticked (default position), if the certificate for the GIT repository is invalid (self-signed, unknown root CA, expired), then extraction fails. If this option is ticked, extraction succeeds in cases described previously - in other words, invalid HTTPS certificates are ignored. Note that ticking this option has no effect on an extraction which already succeeds (HTTP, valid HTTPS).
Tick the Credentials option if the GIT repository requires authenticated access.
This option enables you to force the CAST Delivery Manager Tool to save the access credentials you have entered above. Choosing an option or not has no impact on the extraction (i.e. the CAST Delivery Manager Tool can still access the required resources). However, if you are creating subsequent Versions using the same repositories, you can choose to store the password in which case you will not need to re-enter it.
There are two save options: