Summary: This document provides basic information about the extension providing Entity Framework support for C#.
See Entity Framework 2.0 - Release Notes for more information.
This extension provides support for Entity Framework. The calculation of Automated Function Points for your .NET analyses will be supplemented through the links between objects produced by the base .NET Analyzer and database tables, using Entity Framework CRUD operations.
In what situation should you install this extension?
If your .NET application contains Entity Framework source code and you want to view these object types and their links, then you should install this extension. More specifically the extension will identify:
- "use" links from C# methods using Entity Framework operations to participating Database tables
Entity Framework is delivered with the .NET Framework. Therefore the following .NET frameworks are supported by this extension:
|3.0 and above|
Function Point, Quality and Sizing support
- Function Points (transactions): a green tick indicates that OMG Function Point counting and Transaction Risk Index are supported
- Quality and Sizing: a green tick indicates that CAST can measure size and that a minimum set of Quality Rules exist
|Quality and Sizing|
CAST AIP compatibility
CAST AIP release
Supported DBMS servers
This extension is compatible with the following DBMS servers:
|Microsoft SQL Server|
|An installation of any compatible release of CAST AIP (see table above)|
Download and installation instructions
Include the extension using the interface in AIP Console:
There is nothing further to do. Follow the instructions below to run a new analysis/snapshot to generate new results:
- Advanced onboarding - run and validate the initial analysis
- Advanced onboarding - snapshot generation and validation
What results can you expect?
Once the analysis/snapshot generation has completed, you can view the results in the normal manner. The following links will be displayed in CAST Enlighten:
|Link type||Source and destination of link||Methods supported|
|useInsertLink||Between the caller .NET Class / Method objects and Database Table object|
|useDeleteLink||Between the caller .NET Class / Method objects and Database Table object|
|useUpdateLink||Between the caller .NET Class / Method objects and Database Table object|
|useSelectLink||Between the caller .NET Class / Method objects and Database Table object|
Support for EntityModelConfiguration
EntityModelConfiguration allows configuration to be performed for any entity type in a model. Support has be been provided to create links between method and table, when table name is overridden through EntityModelConfiguration.
- Support has been provided for EntityFramework Core
- Multiple links between caller method and database table based on CRUD operations
- Support for Asynschronous API and batch operations
- Positioning of bookmarks
- Support for LINQ-to-Entities
- SaveChanges() method of DbContext class commits the operation in the database table. Hence no useLink is created between caller method and table.
- When the class is referenced in other code as a property, parent and child relation is created. Any CRUD operation performed on parent class is also reflected in the child class. e.g. In the below case, data is inserted in Contractor, but useInsertLink is created for both Contractor and Vendor tables, as Vendor is referenced in Contractor (foreign key).
- Analyzing the participating database tables is mandatory for the extension to work correctly