|Summary: information about AIP Console Architecture Studio.|
What is it?
The Architecture Studio is feature in the AIP Console that provides a means to manage Architecture Checker/Quality Rule models, templates and libraries for specific Applications or all Applications managed in AIP Console. Models are divided in to two categories:
Models can be:
- created from scratch in the AIP Console
- applied from a set of predefined templates available in the AIP Console
- saved as custom templates for re-use
- imported as files that have been created in the end-user application CAST Architecture Checker.
- attached to Applications for inclusion in an analysis (see Application - Config - Architecture) if they are Architecture Models
- exported as extensions if they are Quality Rule Models
The library is used to store layers and sets for re-use in custom models/templates.
Accessing the Architecture Studio
Login with a user account that already has the Admin or Application Owner role and switch to the Architecture Studio:
The Architecture Studio is divided into specific sections, each explained below:
Click to enlarge
Section 1 - Choose a Model type
This section enables you to switch between managing the different types of Model supported in the Architecture Studio:
- Architecture Models (default selection) > to manage models that check for violations of architecture
- Quality Rule Models > to manage models that can be exported as installable extensions to contain custom rules
Section 2 - Misc
This option enables you to create a brand new Model using the interface available in AIP Console. Choose the configuration settings for the new model, then click OK to start the editing process - see AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Model editor for more information:
|Authorized / Forbidden|
|Only applicable when creating an Architecture Model.|
Choose the type of model you would like to create:
- a model defining Authorized links between layers - i.e. links between objects that are authorized
- a model defining Forbidden links between layers - i.e. links between objects that are forbidden
Authorized model type
- When two layers have no links between them in the model and in reality there are links, then a violation will be reported.
- If a link between two layers is created in the model, then no violations will ever be raised regardless of whether in reality links exist or not.
Forbidden model type
- When two layers have no link between them in the model, whatever the reality is, no violations will be reported.
- Violations will be reported only when a link between two layers is created in the model and in reality the link exists.
|Name||Enter a name for the model.|
Use this button to import a Model created with the end-user application CAST Architecture Checker (i.e. a .castarchitect file or a .castrule file). The model will be displayed in the list. Imported models are stored in the following location:
- If you receive the following errors when uploading a .castarchitect/.castrule file, it is likely that the selected model is invalid in some way. This needs to be corrected before the model can be imported.
- If an existing model already exists with the same file name as the model being imported, a warning will be displayed, which also provides options to choose whether to overwrite the existing file or provide a new file name:
- If Overwrite is selected, then the existing model will get overwritten with the imported model.
- If Rename is selected, a new file name must be entered and the model will be imported with this new file name
This option toggles the display of Section 2 - Templates. By default the section is hidden.
Click to expand
Section 3 - Templates
See AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Templates. Note that by default this section is hidden:
Section 4 - Existing Models
See AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Existing Models.