|Summary: information about AIP Console Architecture Studio.|
What is it?
The Architecture Studio is feature in the AIP Console that provides a means to manage Architecture Checker/Quality Rule models, templates and libraries for specific Applications or all Applications managed in AIP Console. Models are divided in to two categories:
Models can be:
- created from scratch in the AIP Console
- applied from a set of predefined templates available in the AIP Console
- saved as custom templates for re-use
- imported as files that have been created in the end-user application CAST Architecture Checker.
- attached to Applications for inclusion in an analysis (see Application - Config - Architecture) if they are Architecture Models
- exported as extensions if they are Quality Rule Models
The library is used to store layers and sets for re-use in custom models/templates.
Accessing the Architecture Studio
Login with a user account that already has the Admin or Application Owner role and switch to the Architecture Studio:
The Architecture Studio is divided into specific sections, each explained below:
Click to enlarge
This section enables you to switch between managing the different types of Model supported in the Architecture Studio:
- Architecture Models (default selection) > to manage models that check for violations of architecture
- Quality Rule Models > to manage models that can be exported as installable extensions to contain custom rules
- Library Components > a means to manage frequently used Layers and Sets than can be inserted (with their definition) into Architecture Models or Templates, so that you do not need to define the same Sets and Layers again and again
|Note that when running AIP Console in CAST Imaging mode (i.e. using the dedicated AIP Core for CAST Imaging) the Quality Rule Models tab is not available.|
This option enables you to create a brand new Model/Library Component using the interface available in AIP Console. Choose the configuration settings for the new model, then click OK to start the editing process - see AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Model editor for more information:
|Authorized / Forbidden|
|Only applicable when creating an Architecture Model.|
Choose the type of model you would like to create:
- a model defining Authorized links between layers - i.e. links between objects that are authorized
- a model defining Forbidden links between layers - i.e. links between objects that are forbidden
Authorized model type
- When two layers have no links between them in the model and in reality there are links, then a violation will be reported.
- If a link between two layers is created in the model, then no violations will ever be raised regardless of whether in reality links exist or not.
Forbidden model type
- When two layers have no link between them in the model, whatever the reality is, no violations will be reported.
- Violations will be reported only when a link between two layers is created in the model and in reality the link exists.
|Name||Enter a name for the model/Library Component.|
Use this button to import a Model/Library Component created with the end-user application CAST Architecture Checker or one that has been saved to file using AIP Console (i.e. a .castarchitect file or a .castrule file). The item will be displayed in the list. Imported items are stored in the following location:
- If you receive the following errors when uploading a .castarchitect/.castrule file, it is likely that the selected model is invalid in some way. This needs to be corrected before the model can be imported.
- If an existing model already exists with the same file name as the model being imported, a warning will be displayed, which also provides options to choose whether to overwrite the existing file or provide a new file name:
- If Overwrite is selected, then the existing model will get overwritten with the imported model.
- If Rename is selected, a new file name must be entered and the model will be imported with this new file name
This option toggles the display of Section 2 - Templates. By default the section is hidden.
Click to expand
Section 3 - Templates
This section is:
- available only when working with Architecture Models/Quality Rule Models
- is hidden by default
See AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Templates.
Section 4 - Existing Models/Library Components
See AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Existing Models or AIP Console - Architecture Studio - Library Components: