Before you add a new Application, you need to login to AIP Console. Browse to the following URL:
Remember to modify the URL to your local environment:
- Change localhost to the machine on which the AIP Console package is running
- Change the port number if anything other than port 8081 has been configured
Following login page is displayed, enter your login credentials:
Add a new Application
|To add a new Application, your AIP Console login must have the Admin or Application Owner role.|
Move to the AIP Console screen, if you are not already there:
Click the Add Application button:
|No existing Applications|
A floating dialog box will prompt you to fill in details for the new Application:
A name for the Application.
- The following characters are not authorized in Application names : \ / : * ? " < > |
- Identical Application names are not authorized.
- Application names are case insensitive, therefore attempting to create an application called TEST when test already exists will result in an error.
Corresponding schema names created on the CAST Storage Service/PostgreSQL instance
- Three schemas are required using the following suffixes, except where a GUI is used as explained below:
- _mngt = Management schema
- _local = Analysis schema
- _central = Dashboard schema
- A valid CAST Storage Service/PostgreSQL schema name is a string of 63 or fewer characters.
- The schema name must begin with a letter or an underscore (_).
- Subsequent characters can be letters, underscores or digits (0-9).
- Schema names beginning with "pg_" are reserved for system purposes and therefore cannot be used.
Taking into account the constraints mentioned above, AIP Console does the following list of transformations to generate a prefix from the given application name, in this example: *8App_Prod! (main.app)
- take the application name and put it in lower case: *8-app_prod! (main.app)
- replace space, dash "-" or dot "." and replace with an underscore: *8_app_prod!_(main_app)
- remove all invalid characters (the characters that are not letters, underscores or digits (0-9)): 8_app_prod_main_app
- if the prefix starts with a digit or "pg_", add an underscore before: _8_app_prod_main_app
- if the prefix is longer than 55 characters (63 - 8 characters for suffix) reduce it to 55 by removing the last characters, giving:
- if a schema with the chosen prefix already exists:
- if the prefix is longer than 52 characters (55 - 3 characters for counter) reduce it to 52 by removing the last characters
- for a counter from 01 to 99 add counter suffix and check if schema exists:
- if all possible schemas exist then generate schema prefix from the application guid, giving the following:
A domain name:
- if this is the first Application you are adding, no domain names will exist - you can therefore either enter the name of a domain and this will be created when the Application is added, or leave the field blank in which case the Application will not belong to any domain (listed under No Domain).
- if you have already added an Application and created a domain at the same time, or you have manually added a domain, all existing domains will be offered in a drop down list. Selecting one will assign the new Application to the existing domain.
A domain is a method of grouping Applications together primarily to assign user roles.
- A "domain" is a method of grouping Applications together so that user roles can be assigned to all the Applications in a given Domain. Domains are managed in the Administration Center.
- Following characters should not be used in Domain names: \ / : * ? " < > | ( )
Choose the AIP Node on which you want to add the Application. All schemas required for the new Application will be installed on the CAST Storage Service/PostgreSQL server associated with the selected node (this was configured during the AIP Node package - back-end installation):
Click Add to start the process:
The process will begin (click to enlarge) - you can stop it any time using the STOP button:
A successful addition is shown below (click to enlarge) - you can click the "View Log" options to view the log for each step in the process:
What is installed with a new Application?
When you add a new Application, the following actions are performed:
- A Delivery folder (a central location specific to the Application used for storing successive and compressed versions of an Application's source code) dedicated to the new Application is created on the AIP Node in the following default location:
%PROGRAMDATA%\CAST\AipConsole\AipNode\delivery\ (note that this location may have been changed during the installation process)
- Three Application schemas are created on the CAST Storage Service/PostgreSQL server associated to the AIP Node - these schemas are created from dumps shipped with AIP Core, therefore their release number will match the release of AIP Core used on the AIP Node. These schemas are used to store the analysis data. Details about these schemas can be seen by users with the Admin role in Administration Center - Applications - Application Details. The names used for the three schemas will mirror the Application name as shown below, except in situations detailed previously in this document:
- Management schema (<appname>_mngt)
- Analysis schema (<appname>_local)
- Dashboard schema (<appname>_central)
- No CAST AIP extensions are installed at this time. See Application - Extensions for more information.