Dependencies - refine a target
CAST may have, for example, created a default dependency Rule (see Dependencies - Rules tab) between the VB Technology in your Application and the MS SQL Server Technology in your Application. In some situations, this dependency will be too broad, and may give rise to the creation of multiple false links between the Source and Target.
If this is is the case, you can "refine" the Target so that only specific components (for example only SQL Tables) are considered as the Target, rather than the source code in an Analysis Unit or in an entire Technology within an Application.
You can use the following items to refine the target:
- Existing Analysis Units
- Specific object types
- Object Names, Object Full Name and Object Path
- Note that you must either run an analysis or generate a snapshot before using this option - a refined target functions with objects that have been analyzed and saved to the Analysis Service.
Create a refined target
- You can then either:
- Clone the rule to leave the Default rule in place (we will do this)
- Edit the existing rule to transform it into a Custom rule
- Click the button to clone the existing rule
- Select the new custom rule:
- Select the Refine Target option as shown above.
- This will launch a new dialog box enabling you to configure the refined target:
- In addition, the Refined Target will also appear in the Dependencies - Refined Target tab in the current Application.
- Next, remove the existing Default dependency rule between the two Technologies - this will ensure that the items selected in the refined target are the only ones taken into account.
- During the next analysis or snapshot CAST will only create links to the items defined in the refined target.
Dependencies tab | Application editor