Summary: this section provides information about the range of IDs that are reserved for the following items for use with custom extensions;:
- Quality Rules
When creating custom extensions that create objects to be saved in the CAST Analysis Service schema or use custom Quality Rules, you will need to manage the range of IDs that you assign to these items.For example:
For objects, you will have configured items in the XXXMetaModel.xml file as follows:
For objects, you will have configured items as follows:
ID ranges available for use
The following ID ranges are available for use. As a very general rule you will need to configure IDs above 1,500,000:
ID above 2,000,000
Reserved for customers
ID above 1,500,000 and below 2,000,000
reserved for field consultants
ID above 1,000,000 and below 1,500,000
reserved for built-in packages created by CAST
ID above 0 and below 1,000,000
reserved for CAST R&D and products
How are ID ranges allocated?
- ID ranges are automatically allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- IDs are allocated in groups of 1000, up to a total of 10,000 per extension.
- IDs can be reserved for Objects or Quality Rules, or you can reserve ranges of both types.
What happens if you have already defined the IDs in your extension?
It is not possible to reserve a specific range of IDs if you have already created an extension and defined the range of IDs for objects and/or Quality Rules in that extension - as stated above they are allocated on a first come, first served basis. However, if the range you have defined in the extension has not already been allocated (sign in to the CAST Extend website and click the ID Ranges option in the menu bar to view reserved IDs) it is possible to upload your extension and the ranges you are using will be automatically reserved for you.
Reserving ID ranges
Before uploading your custom extension to share with the wider community, you must ensure that you reserve a range of IDs for use in your extension. To do so:
- Sign in to the CAST Extend website.
- Click the ID Ranges option in the menu bar:
- A new page will be displayed containing two sections:
- One to reserve Object ID ranges
- One to reserve Quality Rule ID ranges (you will need to scroll down to view this section)
- To reserve an ID range click either Reserve Object ID Range or Reserve Rule ID Range, depending on the IDs you require:
- The following window will be displayed:
- Enter the required information as follows:
|Extension ID||Enter the ID of your extension in the form com.castsoftware.uc.<name> / com.castsoftware.labs.<name> depending on the type of extension you are uploading. When you upload your extension, you need to ensure that the Extension ID you are using is identical to the Extension ID you enter here.|
|Range amount||Choose a number between 1 and 10. 1 corresponds to a range of 1000 IDs, therefore if you enter 3, you will be granted 3000 IDs.|
- Click Reserve to reserve the selected range of IDs. They will now be shown in the relevant list:
- Once your ID range has been reserved, you can then use the allocated IDs when creating your extension.