Summary: This section provides information about sharing a custom extension with the wider CAST user community.
If you have created a custom extension that you are actively using and you think other users could benefit from this, you can share your extension with the wider CAST community using CAST Extend for third-party custom extensions.
Prerequisites to sharing your extension
The custom extension you have created must contain a plugin.nuspec file, as detailed in Extension description file.
Have your extension in an appropriately named folder
Your extension should already be stored in an appropriately named folder. Either:
- for CAST AIP extensions provided by the Users Community team: com.castsoftware.uc.nameoftheextension
- for CAST AIP extensions provided by the CAST Labs: com.castsoftware.labs.nameoftheextension
Packaging in .nupkg format
You can only share an extension in .nupkg format (this is essentially an archive file) - any other formats will be rejected by CAST Extend. To create the .nupkg file, you should proceed as follows:
- The packaging is executed with the command line utility called NuGet.exe - you can download this file free of charge from https://dist.nuget.org/index.html
- CAST recommends using a batch script to run the packaging - this script should be run from outside the folder containing your extension. An example is shown below - please adapt this to include the name of the folder containing your extension:
- If the package action is successful, a file entitled com.castsoftware.uc.nameoftheextension.<version_number>.nupkg will be created. The <version_number> will be determined automatically by the contents of the <version> tag in the plugin.nuspec file.
The "pack" command will ignore any empty folders located in the root folder, and therefore these empty folder will not be included in the resulting .nupkg file. If you need to rely on the existence of empty folders inside your extension you need to include the "on demand" creation of that folder within the extension code. Known examples are:
- Temporary folders for UA preprocessing, i.e.:
Share the extension
- Click Upload Extension on the menu bar:
- Now use the "..." icon (marked as 1 in the image below) to find the .nupkg file that represents your extension, then use the Upload button to start the upload process:
- During the upload process, a progress bar will display the upload statistics:
- If your extension conforms to the required norms it will be accepted and you then need to verify the details:
- The information displayed is taken from the plugin.nuspec file (see Extension description file). Some fields are read-only, others can be modified directly. Please verify the details are correct and then scroll to bottom and click to Submit to confirm the upload:
- Once the extension has been successfully uploaded, a user with Moderation rights will need to validate the extension before it can be downloaded for use by others.