Summary: This section provides information about sharing a custom extension with the wider CAST user community.
If you have created a custom extension that you are actively using and you think other users could benefit from this, you can share your extension:
- with the wider CAST community using CAST Extend for third-party custom extensions
- within your organization using your own "NuGet" server???? Still valid??
Prerequisites to sharing your extension
The custom extension you have created must contain a plugin.nuspec file, as detailed in Extension description file.
Have your extension in an appropriately named folder
Your extension should already be stored in an appropriately named folder. Either:
- for CAST extensions provided by the Users Community team: com.castsoftware.uc.nameoftheextension
- for CAST extensions provided by the CAST Labs: com.castsoftware.labs.nameoftheextension
Packaging in .nupkg format
You can only share an extension in .nupkg format (this is essentially an archive file) - any other formats will be rejected by CAST Extend or by your own NuGet server. To create the .nupkg file, you should proceed as follows:
- The packaging is executed with NuGet.exe - please see NuGet.exe for more information about this and where you can obtain it.
- CAST recommends using a batch script to run the packaging - this script should be run from outside the folder containing your extension. An example is shown below - please adapt this to include the name of the folder containing your extension:
- If the package action is successful, a file entitled com.castsoftware.uc.nameoftheextension.<version_number>.nupkg will be created. The <version_number> will be determined automatically by the contents of the <version> tag in the plugin.nuspec file.
The "pack" command will ignore any empty folders located in the root folder, and therefore these empty folder will not be included in the resulting .nupkg file. If you need to rely on the existence of empty folders inside your extension you need to include the "on demand" creation of that folder within the extension code. Known examples are:
- Temporary folders for UA preprocessing, i.e.:
Second step : publish the extension for sharing
You have several solutions for sharing extensions :
- have an http server and publish to it
- have a shared folder and copy nupkg files into it
The HTTP server way
You need a NuGet server.
Here we assume that you publish to the existing CAST NuGet Server located here : https://extend.castsoftware.com/uc/
Command line for uploading a nupkg to this server :
where <password> is the server password (not mentioned here, you need to ask the server administrator).
Then this plugin will be available through ExtensionDownloader as the server https://extend.castsoftware.com:443/uc/nuget is activated by default.
The Shared folder way
Simpler : copy the my.company.plugin.1.0.0.nupkg into that folder.
Then this plugin will be available through ExtensionDownloader if you have configured that folder path as an active server.