- Not applicable when working with Quality Rule Models.
- If you are not working online, you will be prompted to connect.
- Before you can take advantage of the online operating mode you do need to have already successfully generated a snapshot of your application. See CAST Architecture Checker - Working online.
When working online, you can use this option to check whether the source code of your application violates the Architecture Model you have defined with the CAST Architecture Checker. This is the primary goal of the application - i.e. to identify links between objects that may violate your architecture definition.
The option can be accessed:
When selected, the CAST Architecture Checker will query the CAST Analysis Service (via the current connection to the CAST Management Service) and display any violations to your architecture model using links between layers.
These link types (circled in red below) indicate that an object (or objects) in one layer violate the Architecture Model you have defined:
- The number indicates the number of links between the objects in the two layers that violate your model
- The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of violation (i.e. objects from one layer are calling objects in another layer and that is contrary to your model):
Viewing information about the violation
If the Check Model option returns violations ( links), you can then view information about the objects involved in the violation. To do so:
- Right click the violation link (you need to click the text that indicates the number of links: "XX links").
- A contextual menu will appear - select this option:
- The violation link will change to a colour to indicate that the link is being examined and a panel will appear at the bottom of the screen listing the links involved:
An explanation of each option is listed below:
|Column headings||Caller name||Calling object's short name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Caller type||Calling object's type as defined by CAST's meta-model.|
|Caller full Name||Calling object's full name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Callee name||Called object's short name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Callee type||Called object's type as defined by CAST's meta-model.|
|Callee full name||Called object's full name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Link type||Type of link between the calling and called objects.|
|Dynamic Link||Indicates (true or false) whether the link between the objects is classed as "dynamic" - see Validate Dynamic Links for more information about these type of links.|
Indicates the status of the dynamic link:
Dynamic links generated via "Grep" search and which have already been reviewed and ignored are not shown here as these links are not taken into account.
|View source||Use this option to view the source code of the selected object as stored in the CAST Analysis Service. The source code will be displayed in the Source Code tab (see Main window for more information).|
|Closes the current panel.|
You can also use the Filter iconin each column heading to sort and filter according to content:
- Choose the filter type in the drop down list
- Choose whether the criteria will be applied using case sensitive text or not.
- Enter the filter text.
Only content that matches the chosen criteria will be displayed.