When working online, you can use this option to check whether the source code of your application violates the Architecture Model you have defined with the CAST Architecture Checker. This is the primary goal of the application - i.e. to identify links between objects that may violate your architecture definition.
The option can be accessed:
When selected, the CAST Architecture Checker will query the CAST Analysis Service (via the current connection to the CAST Management Service) and display any violations to your architecture model using brown links between layers.
These link types (circled in red below) indicate that an object (or objects) in one layer violate the Architecture Model you have defined:
- The number indicates the number of links between the objects in the two layers that violate your model
- The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of violation (i.e. objects from one layer are calling objects in another layer and that is contrary to your model):
Notes - If you do not see any brown links between layers on completion of the Check Model option, either there are no violations, or the Composition slider (see Options window / Content window) is set to opaque to hide these link types.
Viewing information about the violation
If the Check Model option returns violations (brown links), you can then view information about the objects involved in the violation. To do so:
- Right click the violation link (you need to click the text that indicates the number of links: "XX links").
- A contextual menu will appear - select this option:
- The violation link will change to a yellow colour to indicate that the link is being examined and a panel will appear at the bottom of the screen listing the links involved:
An explanation of each option is listed below:
|Column headings||Caller name||Calling object's short name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Caller type||Calling object's type as defined by CAST's meta-model.|
|Caller full Name||Calling object's full name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Callee name||Called object's short name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Callee type||Called object's type as defined by CAST's meta-model.|
|Callee full name||Called object's full name as saved in the CAST Analysis Service|
|Link type||Type of link between the calling and called objects.|
|View source||Use this option to view the source code of the selected object as stored in the CAST Analysis Service. The source code will be displayed in the Source Code tab (see Main window for more information). |
|Closes the current panel.|
You can also use the Filter iconin each column heading to sort and filter according to content:
- Choose the filter type in the drop down list
- Choose whether the criteria will be applied using case sensitive text or not.
- Enter the filter text.
Only content that matches the chosen criteria will be displayed.