Using the Import/Export feature
This feature enables you to import/export all user created items or a set of items to/from file. The goal is to allow the exchange of CAST Management Studio configuration information between, for example, a staging and production environment.
- Note that you can also use the Command Line Interface to Import and Export.
- The Import/Export option does not include Applications - please see Backup an Application and Import an Application Backup for more information.
- To use the export option, click File > Export File (see Menu for more information about the File menu).
- This will display a dialog box in which you can choose the items you want to export. By default ALL items are set for export:
- If you do not want to Export an item, select it in the list and then click the Ignore button.
- If you later want to Export a previously ignored item, select it and click the Export button.
- Click OK to start the Export process.
- A standard Windows Save As dialog box will be displayed in which you can chose a name and location for the export file.
- Click Save to start the Export. When complete the exported configuration will be available in XML based file format in a file with the .pmx extension.
- To use the import option, you first need to have an exported configuration in .pmx file format. This may have come from a staging or test environment and you may now want to import it into the production environment.
- Click File > Import File (see Menu for more information about the File menu).
- A standard Windows Open dialog box will be displayed in which you can chose the .pmx file for import.
- Click Open to start the Import process.
- A dialog box in which you can choose the items you want to import will then be displayed:
- The CAST Management Studio will attempt to determine what action should be carried out for each individual item that is to be imported (see the Action column):
- Ignore > Do not import
- Create > Create the item
- Merge > Merge the item from import with the identically named existing item
- Replace > Replace the identically named existing item with the item from import
- You can set the action as required - select the item in the list and click the appropriate button.
- Click OK to start the Import process.