|Version||Summary of content||Comments|
Can be used with:
Can be used with:
Dashboard architecture change in 2.x
Release 2.0.0-beta1 is the first release of the CAST Dashboards that will use Spring Boot technology. In the most basic terms, this means that it is now possible to deploy the CAST Dashboards without the need for a standalone web application server such as Apache Tomcat - the web application server is instead embedded within the delivered dashboard. This will simplify and speed up the deployment of the CAST Dashboards. As a result of this change:
- CAST will now ship a WAR file and a ZIP file for each Dashboard/combined Dashboard. Both the WAR and the ZIP file are built using Spring Boot technology:
- The 2.x WAR files can be deployed on your existing web application server, just as with previous releases of the CAST Dashboards, however, Apache Tomcat 7.x and IBM WebSphere are now no longer supported - see Standalone dashboard - installation requirements.
- The 2.x ZIP files can be deployed without a web application server directly on a Microsoft Windows or Linux host server with Java installed: unpack the ZIP, update the configuration files and run the start-up script - see also Standalone dashboard - installation requirements.
- There is no direct upgrade path from 1.x to 2.x. Instead (just as with upgrades between 1.x WAR files), the upgrade process is a "side-by-side upgrade". This means that the new dashboard WAR/ZIP file should be deployed alongside the existing dashboard and any settings transferred from the existing to the new - see Standalone Dashboard upgrade.
- The context.xml file (that is used in 1.x WAR files to configure the connection to the CAST Storage Service/PostgreSQL instance) has been removed and replaced in the 2.x WAR files with an application.properties file in conjunction with a domains.properties file. The standalone installation documentation has been updated as a consequence - see Standalone CAST Dashboard deployment process.
- The location of familiar configuration files such as ed.json and cmp.json/app.json has been changed in the 2.x WAR files. 2.x ZIP files also have new locations for these files. The documentation has been updated to specify where each configuration file is located in the relevant release - see also the tables in Standalone Dashboard upgrade that list the location of configuration files in all releases.
The table below provides a comparison of the ZIP and WAR file deployment options:
Lightweight - does not require Apache Tomcat (it is embedded in the ZIP).
Apache Tomcat must be installed and configured prior to deploying the dashboard.
1 port (8080 by default) = 1 Server Process = 1 ED Dashboard + 1 HD Dashboard.
1 port = 1 Server Process = N x (ED Dashboard + HD Dashboard).
Additional Web Server quickly installed on a separate host for a single pair of ED/HD.
Server for multiple ED/HD dashboards.
No Windows Service, no shutdown command line, SAML authentication not supported currently.
Currently SAML authentication is not supported in 2.x WAR files (supported in 1.x WAR files).
|Markdown From URL|