On this page:
|Summary: CAST AIP 8.3.2 introduces a number of features and changes as listed below. To view the impacts of these changes on analysis results, see: Changes in results post upgrade.|
Technology support changes
Three new screens have been added to the CAST AIP installer (setup). These screens are visible only when installing CAST AIP in a non-upgrade scenario (i.e. CAST AIP from the same major/minor release track does not already exist on the machine) and allow you modify the locations for various CAST log, temporary and miscellaneous files. These locations will be valid for all CAST applications. There is no requirement to change these path locations unless you need to - the paths suggested in each screen are the default locations used by CAST AIP. The locations can be overridden once the setup has completed by modifying the CastGlobalSettings.ini file. See Install CAST AIP from setup.
Installation of Health Dashboard, Engineering Dashboard, RestAPI on IBM Websphere Application Server
CAST now supports the installation of the Health Dashboard, the Engineering Dashboard and the CAST RestAPI on IBM Websphere Application Server (WAS) 8.5.x, provided that WAS is installed in a Linux environment. See Appendix - HD - ED - RestAPI - Deployment on IBM WebSphere Application Server for more information.
The CAST Application Engineering Dashboard (AED) has been renamed as the "Engineering Dashboard" (ED). Documentation has been updated to reflect this name change. In addition, certain items and components have been renamed within the dashboard interface itself.
The CAST Application Engineering Dashboard now features the ability to add violations (objects) to an "Education list" (see CASTEngineering Dashboard - AED - Education) to highlight specific issues that may not be corrected, but require tracking, monitoring. In essence the Education list:
- enables an Architect or Technical Lead to identify the main issues in an Application and add them to the list to "educate" his team about the Quality Rules related to the violation
- the violations in the list may not necessarily be corrected because they may be too costly, however, the Architect or Technical Lead can use the list to explain to his development team the issues that exist (i.e. the violations can be shown) and how to avoid the issues in the future (i.e. by highlighting the associated Quality Rule documentation)
- violations Quality Rules in the Education list can be configured to be so that all NEW violations to the Quality Rule are automatically added to the CAST-AED Engineering Dashboard - Action Plan when the next snapshot is generated.
- links to the violations can be sent to development team members directly from the Education list to "share and promote" best practices or how to adhere to specific Quality Rules.
In addition, a parameter called "default" has been added to the ced.json file to allow a specific language to be set by default.
Export to Excel
It is now possible to export data to Excel file at Violation level in the Application Investigation and Transaction Investigation views, for example:
The CAST Application Analytics Dashboard (AAD) has been renamed as the "Health Dashboard" (HD). Documentation has been updated to reflect this name change. In addition, certain items and components have been renamed within the dashboard interface itself.
CAST Management Studio
- Different ID = Check Architecture Model _<Project_filename>_ : The Id from File _<ID>_ is ignored because different from original Id _<Original_ID>_ in CAST-MS
- Duplicate ID = Check Architecture Model _<Project_filename>_ : The Model is ignored. Its Id _<ID>_ is already used by another Model in CAST-MS.
- Wrong ID = Check Architecture Model _<Project_filename>_ : The Model is ignored. Wrong Id _<ID>_. The Id should be positive, even and > 2000000
- Undefined ID = Check Architecture Model _<Project_filename>_ : : The Model is ignored. Id is Missing.
This shows how many objects have been identified by the rule. This column will only update after using the Compute option or generating a snapshot.
New Ratios information in Enhancement node right hand panel
A new panel of information called "Ratios" is now available in the Enhancement node, providing information about the elements (artifacts, objects etc.) that comprise the current Application and snapshot:
Adjusted links now highlighted
Links that have been modified using the Transaction Graph Adjustment feature are now highlighted as dashed black lines in the Call Graph and Full Call Graph. For example (click to enlarge):
CAST is now delivering a bespoke executable for running automated CAST Transaction Configuration tasks. Previously, command line tasks could be run using CAST-TransactionConfig.exe, however, CAST highly recommends that all automated command line tasks now use CAST-TransactionConfig-CLI.exe.
- A positive and even number above 2,000,000 can be assigned as an ID (values less than this are already reserved for use by CAST). CAST recommends using CAST Extend to reserve a range of IDs for your use . See http://doc.castsoftware.com/display/EXTEND/Managing+ID+ranges+for+custom+(if you have not done so already). To do so, sign in to CAST Extend and select ID Ranges > Quality Range Reservation > Reserve Rule ID Range:
- The Extension ID field is of the form: com.castsoftware.uc.<free-form text>. Where <free-form text> can be any string that describes your initiative or your project.
- For the Range amount field, choose a number between 1 and 10. 1 corresponds to a range of 1000 IDs, therefore if you enter 3, you will be granted 3000 IDs.
- After you have clicked on Reserve, a range of rule IDs are defined and ready for your use. See Managing ID ranges for custom extensions for more information about this.
- If an existing Model from CAST AIP ≤ 8.3.1 (where IDs were not available) is opened, then the ID will be set to the default value (0).
- If an Architecture Model has already been assigned to an Application in the CAST Management Studio with ID = X, then even if the Architecture Model is subsequently edited in the CAST Architecture Checker and the ID changed (to ID = Y, for example), the Model will retain the same ID in the CAST Management Service schema as long as it is not removed from the Application.
- The ID must be unique in the CAST Management Service schema. If two Architecture Models with the same ID are associated to an Application, only the first Model will be used and the second will be ignored.
- If the ID is set to 0 (default) or blank, then the Architecture Model will be ignored when the snapshot is generated.
- When saving the Model, the following is checked. If any of the below checks fail, an error will be displayed:
|That an even number has been used|
|That a number above 2,000,000 has been used|
|That an invalid number has not been used (for example a very large number, or a negative number)|