On this page:
CAST AI Administrators
Summary: this section provides information about what you should expect after completing an upgrade and any action items you may need to complete.
Step 1: What you should expect after running an upgrade
- Run the CAST Management Studio from your new installation of CAST AIP.
- Connect to the upgraded Management Service on the server that hosts your upgraded CAST AIP schemas: you may need to create a new connection profile to do so. You will not need to enter a license key, or specify Delivery/Deployment folders.
This is what you can expect:
- Delivery and Deployment folders will remain as they were prior to the upgrade
- Applications will remain as they were prior to the upgrade, including:
- Any existing Deliveries
- The Current Version
- Any existing Analysis Units
- Any existing Modules
- Any existing Analyses/Snapshots
What happens to Assessment Models?
During the upgrade process, the following actions will have been performed:
|Option chosen during upgrade||Assessment Model label in CAST Management Studio|
|"[current label] (upgraded, [version] new rules enabled)"|
|Preserve Assessment Model customizations,|
leave new rules disabled
|"[current label] (upgraded, [version] new rules disabled)"|
"Default Assessment Model ([version] + Extensions)"
Unassociated Assessment Models will retain their existing label:
Warning : There are more than 3 Assessment Models declared in the current management base,
this can degrade the performances of CAST Management Studio. You should consider removing those which are no longer needed.
Step 2: Items for action
This step contains miscellaneous action points that, depending on the technologies you are upgrading, may need to be complete.
Assessment Models comparison process - optional
CAST highly recommends that this comparison process is completed so that you can identify the differences between the OLD and NEW Assessment Models, however, it is not a mandatory part of the upgrade process and you can skip the step if you prefer not to do this. See for more information.
Customers using the Siebel extension
If you have used the CAST Siebel extension and have generated a snapshot in the previous release of CAST AIP, then you must follow the instructions explained in the Siebel extension documentation about re-running the Vanilla analysis BEFORE you generate a new snapshot with the new release of CAST AIP. Please see Note about running a CAST AIP upgrade or an Extension upgrade for more information.
Customers upgrading with legacy BusinessObjects Analyzer results
CAST has provided support for analyzing SAP BusinessObjects source code via its BO Analyzer (provided out-of-the-box in CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x) for some time now. This "legacy" analyzer requires the following:
- SAP BusinessObjects (the BO Designer module) must be installed on the workstation on which the CAST Management Studio is being run from.
- you must manually define a connection to the SAP BusinessObjects instance on which your Universe files are used - this instance must be available during the analysis process in the CAST Management Studio - this is known as an "online" analysis.
These requirements can sometimes present significant difficulties for the process of on-boarding a SAP BusinessObjects application into CAST AIP. As a direct result of this and wanting to simplify the approach, CAST has developed the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer as a standalone extension. The extension (introduced in CAST AIP 8.2.5) provides a means to analyze SAP BusinessObjects source code "offline", i.e. no connection to the SAP BusinessObjects instance is required. In addition there is no longer any requirement to have BusinessObjects (the BO Designer module) installed on the workstation on which the CAST Management Studio is being run from.
From CAST AIP ≥ 8.3.x, the legacy BO Analyzer (provided out-of-the-box in CAST AIP) is no longer available, therefore for upgrades to CAST AIP ≥ 8.3.x, existing SAP BusinessObjects analyses will no longer function and will block the post-upgrade consistency snapshot. As such, CAST highly recommends that you transition to the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer BEFORE you generate a post-upgrade consistency snapshot (see Switching from legacy to new delivery/analysis method in SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer - 1.0).
Customers upgrading from CAST AIP 8.1.0 (baseline) - snapshot validation
If you are upgrading from CAST AIP 8.1.0 (baseline) ONLY, you should check your snapshots for errors that may have occurred during the upgrade of the Measurement Service schema with CAST Server Manager. To do so:
- connect and login to the Health Dashboard from the previous release of CAST AIP (this should still be available).
- navigate through all the Applications that have been upgraded to the new release of CAST AIP and check the list of snapshots in the snapshot selector for each Application:
- any snapshot Version name that contains the string "MIGR_ERROR_ALG_xxx_x_x" (for example "MIGRERROR_ALG_1106776204_3_4") was subject to an error that occurred during the upgrade of the Measurement Service schema with CAST Server Manager. It has not been possible to automatically repair this error and therefore the snapshot may produce erroneous data in the Health Dashboard or in the CAST Report Generator.
If any existing snapshots are marked as containing an error, you need to perform a specific set of actions to remove and re-consolidate the snapshot (containing the error) in the Measurement Service schema. To do so:
- Launch the AadConsolidation-GUI.exe located in <CAST_AIP_installation_folder>\AAD\GUI:
- In the GUI, tick the Reset option as shown above
- Fill in the fields in the AAD Connection tab (as highlighted above) to connect to the Measurement Service schema in which the snapshots with errors have been consolidated. See HD - GUI common fields for more information.
- Move to the Reset tab and fill in the three fields as follows, according to the Version name given to the snapshot that contains an error, for example: "MIGRERROR_ALG_1106776204_3_4"
- the first figure, (here 1106776204) represents the site_id
- the second one, (here 3), the application_id
- the third one (here 4) the snapshot_id
- Finally click the Run Application button to start the removal process:
- Repeat this process for ALL snapshots in your upgraded Application that have an error in the Version name.
- Finally, open the CAST Management Studio from the new release of CAST AIP, open the Application editor and move to the Execute tab
- Click the Upload Snapshots to Measurement Service option to re-consolidate all snapshots for the current Application. Repeat for each Application as necessary.
Step 3: Generate a new post upgrade snapshot on the latest version
- Although not mandatory (except in the situation listed below), CAST highly recommends that it is nevertheless actioned because it provides a way to compare the analysis results of the same source code in two distinct releases of CAST AIP. If you don't want to generate a snapshot at this time, you can skip this paragraph and move on to Step 4: Reconfigure the CAST web applications. Following an upgrade to the current version of CAST AIP, you will need to use the CAST Delivery Manager Tool if you want to deliver new versions of your Application source code for analysis. This process is described in Delivery.
- This step is always mandatory when your Application contains DB2 (z/OS or UDB) source code AND you have not yet transitioned to the SQL Analyzer extension. This is to ensure that data for this technology is generated correctly.
- All the steps listed below should be run from CAST Management Studio from the new release of CAST AIP.
- A pre-prepared batch script is available that will perform this step (and others) silently. This script uses the Command Line Interface of various CAST AIP tools. See Automating the CAST AIP Upgrade process.
Update the delivery for the current version
Copy the delivery
- First ensure that the current version is set to the version used to generate the most recent snapshot (i.e. the last snapshot generated before the upgrade).
- Now select the current version and click Add Version (click to enlarge)
- The following screen will now be displayed. Please ensure that you do as follows:
- 1) Enter a name for this copied version
- 2) Ensure the Copy source code option is selected (click to enlarge):
- 3) Available from CAST AIP ≥ 8.3.5: Decide if you want to enable any specific discoverers by entering their names in the Discoverers to activate field. You can enter either any of the following (if you enter multiple discoverers, separate them with a comma):
- "XML scanner" (DMT XML Scanner) - enabling this discoverer will provide additional information in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool "Delivery report'".
- Click Finish to continue.
Re-package the source code and deliver
The objective is to apply any fixes that may have been delivered in the new release of the CAST Delivery Manager Tool and to include the results from additional extensions that may have been introduced in the new release of the CAST Delivery Manager Tool.
- The CAST Delivery Manager Tool will open (click to enlarge):
- You now need to open each "package" (double click it) and check that all the configuration settings are as they should be.
- Click Package at Version level and ensure that:
- Force extraction option is UNTICKED - this will limit the result comparison to the source code that was delivered with the last snapshot generated prior to the upgrade
- Force scan option is UNTICKED
- Click Finish to run the Package action
- Check the status of the packaging action in the Package Content tab for each Package.
- Click Deliver to close the Version
- Quit the CAST Delivery Manager Tool
Note that you may need to re-input the password for access to databases, SVN or TFS if the original Delivery Manager chose to stored these passwords locally on his own workstation, rather than storing them in the CAST AIC Portal.
Accept and set as current version
- Back in CAST Management Studio, the Version will now be displayed in the Delivery done section (click to enlarge):
- Accept the Version and set it as current:
- Deploy the source code as normal (click to enlarge):
Note that for File system packages ONLY, you can skip the deployment of the source code (untick the Deploy sources option) if you want to save some time.
- You are now ready to generate a snapshot - see below.
Generate a new snapshot
- For each Application involved in the upgrade, generate a snapshot. The rational of doing so now is so that you can compare the pre and post upgrade snapshots.
- First ensure that the correct Assessment Model is assigned to your Dashboard Service (use the Expert audience mode) click to enlarge:
- Now check your Analysis Units to make sure, in particular, that any file based source code is available. Use the Current Version tab in the Application editor (click to enlarge):
- Next right click the upgraded Application and select Execute > Take a snapshot of the application. This will run all the analyses, synchronize modules and execute a new snapshot:
Please ensure that you:
Check the results of the snapshot
When the snapshot has completed, you can check the contents by launching a temporary Engineering Dashboard:
- Open your Dashboard Service in the CAST Management Studio
- Ensure no URL is present in the URL field in the General tab
- Click the Open Engineering Dashboard option in the General tab and compare the pre and post upgrade snapshots (credentials are admin/cast).
Step 4: Reconfigure the CAST web applications
This step corresponds to deploying the CAST web applications for use with the new release of CAST AIP:
- the CAST AIC Portal to manage the delivery and packaging of source code for analysis via the CAST Delivery Manager Tool (DMT)
- the Health Dashboard for high level data consumption
- the Engineering Dashboard for detailed data investigation
- the legacy CAST Engineering Dashboard and the CAST Discovery Portal for detailed data investigation (optional based on your license agreement)
Required actions - general process
CAST strongly recommends deploying the CAST web applications from the new release of CAST AIP "side-by-side" alongside any existing deployed web applications from previous releases of CAST AIP (including any deployed WARs from Alpha and Beta previews) to take advantage of new features and to comply with compatibility limitations. See Deploy the CAST web applications for information about deployment of the CAST web applications from the new release.
In a "side-by-side" deployment, you will need to transfer the details of your environment (stored in the configuration files such as web.xml/context.xml/other .properties/.xml files) from the old web application to the new. Please be aware that the structure and content of configuration files may have changed between releases of CAST AIP, so you should not perform a merge or overwrite configuration files (unless specifically requested to do so in the instructions below) - instead you must manually update the new configuration files with the details from the old configuration files.
CAST AIC Portal - specific actions
When redeploying the CAST AIC Portal, ensure the following is always done:
- You must configure the portal to point to your EXISTING Delivery folder - DO NOT create a new empty Delivery folder.
- The CAST AIC Portal uses a file format database to store various persistent information. Two files from this database must be copied from the existing CAST AIC Portal deployment, over to the same folder in the new CAST AIC Portal deployment - when prompted, you should OVERWRITE the existing files. The files that must be copied are as follows:
- You must comment out any references to Applications that have not been upgraded to the current release of CAST AIP in the index.xml file located in the "data" folder at the root of the Delivery folder (i.e. you have deliberately chosen not to update certain Applications at this time). This is to prevent these Applications from appearing in the CAST AIC Portal and them being inadvertently worked on via the CAST Delivery Manager Tool. For example, in the following index.xml there are two Applications: MEUDON has been updated, SEVRES has not. The comments have been placed around the SEVRES Application:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
Health Dashboard / Engineering Dashboard - specific actions
When redeploying the Health / Engineering Dashboards, please note the following:
WAR file names
Continuing with the dashboard re-naming modifications made in CAST AIP 8.3.2, the WAR files have now been renamed as follows in CAST AIP 8.3.3:
Please ensure that you take note of this and modify any WAR deployment routines you may have. See also:
If you have made configuration changes to tiles via .JSON files and you want to retain those changes in the new version of the dashboards, you can re-use old .JSON files with the new deployment of the dashboards, however please note that doing so will mean that you will not benefit from any improvements or features added to the current release of the Health Dashboard/Engineering Dashboard.
Users, groups and roles configuration
In CAST AIP 8.3.x, the configuration of users, groups and roles for the Health Dashboard / Engineering Dashboard / RestAPI have been updated and brought into line with the methods used in the CAST AIC Portal. Therefore you must ensure that you familiarise yourself with the changes, listed in Changes or new features. You can also find out more in:
Enhancement Function Point counting mode (Health Dashboard only)
In CAST AIP 8.2.x, CAST implemented a new enhancement Function Point counting mode (see CAST AIP enhancement Function Point counting mode) and has therefore modified the Health Dashboard default Enhancement Function Point tile configuration (see Automated Enhancement Point) to pull data ONLY from the new AEP measure. However, Applications on-boarded in previous releases of CAST AIP (≤ 8.1.x) and upgraded to CAST AIP ≥ 8.2.x will continue to use the legacy EFP measure mode for future snapshots (unless manually changed) and as such, the new tile in the dashboard will display no information (N/A) about enhancement Function Points. If you need to display tiles that are configured to display EFP data, please copy the following section of text from the existing deployed WAR (%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\CAST-Health\portal\resources\app.json file) into the equivalent file in the newly deployed WAR:
"title": "Software Enhancement Function Points (since previous version)",
"description": "Automated FPs Added"
"description": "Automated FPs Modified"
"description": "Automated FPs Deleted"