Summary: This document provides basic information about the extension providing Entity Framework support for C# and VB.NET
- Support of <function> tags in edmx files.
- Refresh of icons used to depict Entity Framework objects, see
- Bug fixing, see Entity Framework 1.3 - Bug Fix List
This extension provides support for Entity Framework. The calculation of Automated Function Points for your .NET analyses will be supplemented through the creation of new objects and links specific to Entity Framework framework that will link back to objects/links produced by the base .NET analyzer.
In what situation should you install this extension?
If your .NET application contains Entity Framework source code and you want to view these object types and their links, then you should install this extension. More specifically the extension will identify:
- "use" links from Entity Framework objects to participating Database tables
- "rely on" links from C#/VB.NET Classes to Entity Wrapper objects
Entity Framework support
Entity Framework is delivered with the .NET Framework. Therefore the following .NET frameworks are supported by this extension:
|3.0 and above|
Supported methods in fluent api
Supported tags in .edmx file
- Function Points (transactions): a green tick indicates that OMG Function Point counting and Transaction Risk Index are supported
- Quality and Sizing: a green tick indicates that CAST can measure size and that a minimum set of Quality Rules exist
|Quality and Sizing|
CAST AIP release
|8.3.x||C# and VB.NET|
|8.2.x||C# and VB.NET|
Supported DBMS servers
This extension is compatible with the following DBMS servers:
|Microsoft SQL Server|
|An installation of any compatible release of CAST AIP (see table above)|
Download and installation instructions
Include the extension using the interface in AIP Console:
There is nothing further to do. Follow the instructions below to run a new analysis/snapshot to generate new results:
- Advanced onboarding - run and validate the initial analysis
- Advanced onboarding - snapshot generation and validation
CAST Transaction Configuration Center (TCC) configuration
In Entity Framework ≥ 1.1, if you are using the extension with CAST AIP ≥ 8.3.x, a set of Entity specific items are now automatically imported when the extension is installed. These items will be available in the CAST Transaction Configuration Center (click to enlarge):
Manual import action for CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x (optional)
- Locate the .TCCSetup file in the extension folder: Configuration\TCC\DotNet_Entity.TCCSetup
- In the CAST Transaction Configuration Center, ensure you have selected the Templates node:
- This .TCCSetup file is to be imported into the CAST Transaction Calibration Center using either the:
- File > Import Configuration menu option:
- Or right clicking on the Template node and selecting Import Configuration:
- The import of the "DotNet_Entity.TCCSetup" file will provide you with a sample Transaction End point in the Free Definition node under Templates (click to enlarge):
- Now right click the one of the items and select copy:
- Paste the item into the equivalent node under the Application, for example, below we have copied it into the Application MEUDON:
- Repeat the copy / paste process for all items.
What results can you expect?
Once the analysis/snapshot generation has completed, you can view the results in the normal manner. The following objects and links will be displayed in CAST Enlighten:
|Storage Model Table|
|Storage Model Property|
|Public C#/VB.NET class||Rely on||Entity object|
Because CAST cannot be absolutely certain that the C#/VB.NET class is "entity associated", these rely-on links will always be flagged as "dynamic" and will therefore always appear in the Dynamic Link Manager for review.
|Entity object||Use||Database table|
|Class property get/set||Call||Conceptual property |
|Conceptual property||Call||Storage Model Property via Mappping Property|
|Storage Model Property||Use||Database table|
|Conceptual Function||Call||Storage Function via Mapping Function|
In this section we list the most significant functional limitations that may affect the analysis of applications using Entity Framework:
- Analyzing the participating database tables is mandatory for the extension to work correctly.
- No support for links between LINQ and SQL objects
- Entity Framework objects are not correctly presented in the CAST dashboards
- Enum Collections are not supported.
- DBContexts are not supported.
- Not all Entity Framework and Entity Core namespaces are supported and the analysis log may contain warning about these missing namespaces.