Summary: This document provides basic information about the extension providing Entity Framework support for C# and VB.NET
This extension provides support for Entity Framework. The calculation of Automated Function Points for your .NET analyses will be supplemented through the creation of new objects and links specific to Entity Framework framework that will link back to objects/links produced by the base .NET analyzer.
In what situation should you install this extension?
If your .NET application contains Entity Framework source code and you want to view these object types and their links, then you should install this extension. More specifically the extension will identify:
- "use" links from Entity Framework objects to participating Database tables
- "rely on" links from C#/VB.NET Classes to Entity Wrapper objects
Entity Framework support
Entity Framework is delivered with the .NET Framework. Therefore the following .NET frameworks are supported by this extension:
|3.0 and above|
- Function Points (transactions): a green tick indicates that OMG Function Point counting and Transaction Risk Index are supported
- Quality and Sizing: a green tick indicates that CAST can measure size and that a minimum set of Quality Rules exist
|Quality and Sizing|
CAST AIP release
|8.3.x||C# and VB.NET|
|8.2.x||C# and VB.NET|
Supported DBMS servers
This extension is compatible with the following DBMS servers:
|Microsoft SQL Server|
|An installation of any compatible release of CAST AIP (see table above)|
Bug Fix List
Please see Entity Framework 1.0 - Bug Fix List.
Download and installation instructions
Include the extension using the interface in AIP Console:
There is nothing further to do. Follow the instructions below to run a new analysis/snapshot to generate new results:
- Advanced onboarding - run and validate the initial analysis
- Advanced onboarding - snapshot generation and validation
What results can you expect?
Once the analysis/snapshot generation has completed, you can view the results in the normal manner. The following objects and links will be displayed in CAST Enlighten:
|Storage Model Table|
|Storage Model Property|
|Public C#/VB.NET class||Rely on||Entity object|
Because CAST cannot be absolutely certain that the C#/VB.NET class is "entity associated", these rely-on links will always be flagged as "dynamic" and will therefore always appear in the Dynamic Link Manager for review.
|Entity object||Use||Database table|
|Class property get/set||Call||Conceptual property |
|Conceptual property||Call||Storage Model Property|
|Storage Model Property||Use||Database table|
In this section we list the most significant functional limitations that may affect the analysis of applications using Entity Framework:
- Analyzing the participating database tables is mandatory for the extension to work correctly.
- No support for links between LINQ and SQL objects
- Entity Framework objects are not correctly presented in the CAST Engineering Dashboard.
- Enum Collections are not supported.
- DBContexts are not supported.
- Not all Entity Framework and Entity Core namespaces are supported and the analysis log may contain warning about these missing namespaces.