This extension provides support for applications implemented in SAP BusinessObjects. It replaces the existing and legacy BO Analyzer delivered "out-of-the-box" with CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x.
When should you install this extension?
If your application contains SAP BusinessObjects source code and you want to view corresponding object types and their links with other objects, then you should install this extension. Note however:
- When working with CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x it is not mandatory to use this extension to analyze SAP BusinessObejcts. CAST AIP continues to provide support for analyzing SAP BusinessObjects source code via its existing BO Analyzer (provided out-of-the-box in CAST AIP), and existing code delivery and analysis mechanism for SAP BusinessObjects still remains in CAST AIP.
- When working with CAST AIP ≥ 8.3.x, the legacy BO Analyzer (provided out-of-the-box in CAST AIP) is no longer available, therefore to analyze SAP BusinessObjects, you must use the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer and the CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor.
What is the difference between this Extension and the legacy BO analyzer?
The "legacy" analyzer requires you to do the following:
- Install SAP BusinessObjects (the BO Designer module) on the workstation on which the CAST Management Studio is being run from.
- Manually define a connection to the SAP BusinessObjects instance on which your Universe files are used - this instance must be available during the analysis process in the CAST Management Studio - this is known as an "online" analysis.
These requirements can sometimes present significant difficulties for the process of on-boarding a SAP BusinessObjects application into CAST AIP. As a direct result and to simplify the process, this extension is introduced. The extension helps you to analyze SAP BusinessObjects source code "offline", i.e. no connection to the SAP BusinessObjects instance is required during the analysis - instead output from a standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor is delivered via the CAST Delivery Manager Tool. In addition, you no longer need to have SAP BusinessObjects (the BO Designer module) installed on the workstation on which the CAST Management Studio is being run from.
Workflow with extension
The analysis workflow with the SAP BusinessObjects extension is as follows:
- The standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor is run. This takes the raw Universe (and Documents) files in a local or network folder as input, it then uses the SAP BusinessObjects instance to interpret these raw Universe (and Documents) files and finally transforms them into a format that can be understood by the analyzer provided in the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension.
- The CAST Delivery Manager Tool is run and the output of the standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor is delivered.
- The CAST Delivery Manager Tool delivery is accepted in the CAST Management Studio and Analysis Units are created.
- Analysis is completed.
Analysis result expectation
Both the legacy BO Analyzer provided in CAST AIP and the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension produce the same results in terms of objects/links and Quality Rule grades, if the two are used to analyze the same application source code.
Discovery - how does it work?
The SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension does not include a discovery mechanism within the extension itself. However, a dependent extension containing the discovery mechanism is downloaded and installed automatically for you. Discovery functions as follows:
- One *.unv file fed into the standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor results in the output of one *.bxml file.
- One *.bxml file fed into the CAST Delivery Manager Tool results in one project detected during packaging.
- One project detected during packaging in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool results in one Analysis Unit in the CAST Management Studio.
- Function Points (transactions): a green tick indicates that OMG Function Point counting and Transaction Risk Index are supported
- Quality and Sizing: a green tick indicates that CAST can measure size and that a minimum set of Quality Rules exist
|Quality and Sizing|
CAST AIP release
|8.2.x (where x ≥ 5)|
Supported DBMS servers
This extension is compatible with the following supported DBMS servers:
|CAST AIP release||CSS||Oracle||Microsoft|
|All supported CAST AIP releases|
|An installation of any compatible release of CAST AIP (see table above)|
Dependencies with other extensions
The SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension has one dependent extension which provides the "discovery" element used in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool. This dependent extension is automatically downloaded when you use the CAST Extension Downloader:
Download and installation instructions
For download and installation instructions of the extension, refer the following links:
The latest release status of this extension can be seen when downloading it from the CAST Extend server.
Detailed technology support
|Language version||Supported||Supported by reference||Deprecated support|
|BusinessObjects XI R2|
|BusinessObjects XI 3.0|
|BusinessObjects XI 3.1|
SAP Business Intelligence BusinessObjects 4.0
|SAP Business Intelligence BusinessObjects 4.1|
Packaging, delivering and analyzing your source code
Once the extension is installed, no further configuration changes are required before you can package your source code and run an analysis. The process of packaging, delivering and analyzing your source code is as described below.
Packaging and delivery from scratch
Using the CAST Delivery Manager Tool:
- create a new Version
- create a new Package for your SAP BusinessObjects source code using the BusinessObjects option (click to enlarge):
- Now select how your source code will be accessed. Choose the Use existing CAST extractor output option (click to enlarge):
Note that the Extract Business Objects source from a file system is the option used for the legacy SAP BusinessObjects delivery method and is ONLY visible when working with CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x.
- Define the root folder of your Application source code - this will be the location of the output (*.bxml files) of the (click to enlarge):
- Run the Package action (click to enlarge):
- Check the packaging results to ensure that the CAST Delivery Manager Tool has detected projects. One *.bxml file is equivalent to one SAP BusinessObjects Universe (click to enlarge):
- Deliver the Version (click to enlarge):
Configuring the source code in the CAST Management Studio
Using the CAST Management Studio in the Application editor:
- Accept and deploy the Version in the CAST Management Studio:
- Analysis Units will be created automatically: one per project identified by the CAST Delivery Manager Tool (click to enlarge):
Note that the options available for BusinessObjects in the CAST Management Studio (at Technology and Application level) have no impact when you have delivered source code using the CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor. They only function when you have delivered source code via the legacy method and are ONLY visible when working with CAST AIP ≤ 8.2.x:
- Run a test analysis on the Analysis Units
- Generate a new snapshot.
Reviewing analysis log
During the source code analysis, the SAP Business Objects analyzer provides feedback in its analysis log on the different operations done. You will find explanation on the different messages and possible remediation actions in SAP Business Objects analysis messages.
Switching from legacy to new delivery/analysis method
If you have upgraded to a release of CAST AIP that supports the CAST SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension, and have SAP BusinessObjects analysis and snapshot results (in an upgraded Application) generated using the legacy code delivery and analysis method, you can switch delivery and analysis to the CAST SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension and the standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor. Switching to the new method produces the same results as the legacy BO Analyzer provided "out-of-the-box" in CAST AIP. Therefore, there is no impact to grades and measures.
- Use the standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor to extract the same Universes (*.unv) and Documents (*.rep - where applicable) that you delivered using the legacy method.
- In the CAST Management Studio, reject the delivery that corresponds to your legacy BusinessObjects version (click to enlarge):
- Manage the delivery to open the CAST Delivery Manager:
- In the CAST Delivery Manager Tool, delete the package corresponding to the legacy packaging method:
- Add a new package and this time use the new delivery option "Use existing CAST extractor output" to package the output from the standalone CAST SAP BusinessObjects Extractor - see Packaging and delivery from scratch
- Deliver the package and take a snapshot as normal.
What are the expected results?
After the analysis/snapshot generation is complete, you can view the results in the normal manner. Results are identical to those produced by the legacy BO Analyzer provided "out-of-the-box" in CAST AIP.
SAP BusinessObjects objects and links
The following section lists the objects and links between objects that the BusinessObjects analyzer is capable of detecting and storing in the CAST Analysis Service:
BO List of Value
When is this type of link created?
|Refer (R)||Between two linked Universes|
|Use Select (Us)||Between a Universe and a database table/view|
Quality rules that the SAP BusinessObjects Analyzer extension support are listed and documented in http://doc.castsoftware.com/display/DOC83/QRL+-+Business+Object. These are the same Quality Rules used with the legacy SAP BusinessObjects analyzer provided "out-of-the-box" in CAST AIP.