The Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool provides (as its name suggests) a means for users to manually modify the content of the CAST Analysis Service once a job or set of jobs have been executed and the results stored. There are many reasons for this requirement, but to give you some examples of how the tool could be used here is a small list:
- Update/create links that have been omitted by analyzers when dynamic programming is in use
- Update erroneous links identified by grep searches
- Managing specific situations (e.g. Java frameworks)
- Overcoming specific limitations inherent in a CAST analyzer (for example searching using the parent type and not just on the object name (e.g.: "class.function()" calls in the Universal Analyzer), ability to handle virtual functions and the ability to ignore links)
As a result, CAST has developed the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool to help you modify the CAST Analysis Service as needed.
As of the CAST AIP version 8.3.0, a new feature called Transaction Graph Adjustment allows end-users to make changes to links used for building Transaction graphs which are used for the majority of Function Point computations. As of CAST AIP 8.3.1, this same feature also applies to links retrieved for building graphs used for computing the Risk Index of Transactions.
Indeed the so called "adjusted" links are only taken into account for computing the former Transaction and Risk Index graphs, but contrary to the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool, genuine links are left unchanged in the Analysis Service schema.
Users who intend to use the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool for changing links which are part of Transaction and/or Risk Index graphs should, for these specific links, consider using the Transaction Graph Adjustment feature instead.
What can be done with the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool?
The following processes are possible with the tool:
- Add a new object
- Add a new parent link (Belongs To) to an object
- Add/modify/delete the property of an existing object
- Delete existing links
- Delete existing objects
- Create new links between existing unlinked objects
How does the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool function?
When run, the Update CAST Knowledge Base Tool functions as follows:
- Firstly, specific entry tables (see CAST Analysis Service entry tables for more information about the entry tables) in the CAST Analysis Service are injected with specific data created by the user that determines how the Analysis Service will be modified. This is done in one of two ways (these methods can be chosen in the tool itself):
- Via an SQL query or queries executed against the CAST Analysis Service to insert the required data into the entry tables
- Via a call to an external program which inserts the required data into the entry tables
- Lastly, the Analysis Service update is carried out using the data that was inserted into the entry tables.
Similarities with the CAST SQL Tool and CAST External Program Tool
The CAST Update Knowledge Base Tool is very similar in functionality to the existing CAST SQL Tool and the CAST External Program Tool (see the on-line Help for CAST Management Studio for more information). However, each tool has its own specific remit – as such, you must use the CAST Update Knowledge Base Tool if you want to modify the CAST Analysis Service as described in this document.