The CAST Dashboards offer comparison capabilities, some of them based on natural time flow, others not. All of them require adapted Snapshot frequency.
The CAST Dashboard proposes three main types of Software Analysis and Measurement comparison:
- Comparison of assessment values between Snapshots of a single component
- Comparison of assessment values between components from a single Snapshot
- Comparison of component content over time to estimate workload and costs
The last two types are not impacted by time flow: you can compare information from any Snapshot. The first type is strongly time flow-dependant as it uses creation, deletion, and update information about objects within the components. To handle the natural time flow, the notion of Capture Date was introduced to position Snapshots on the natural time axis, regardless of the Snapshot computing time.
Example of dashboard capabilities:
|Details of added and removed violations in a Minor Release snapshot:||Details of added and removed violations in a Service Pack release:|
Use the snapshot timeline to select which snapshots to review and compare:
About Snapshot frequency
For all three types, Snapshot time granularity has to be adapted to tracking objectives (weekly trends, release trends,...) and to the process:
- In case of early-stage quality control of in house developments, Snapshot generation has to be synchronized with the build process:
- For daily builds, one-to-one synchronization is not recommended; you should go for a weekly Snapshot
- For post-development quality control of in house developments, Snapshot generation has to be synchronized with the delivery of Alpha versions / Beta versions / Release Candidates / ...
- For post-development quality controls of outsourced developments, Snapshot generation has to be synchronized with the deliveries from the supplier.
In case of multiple conflicting needs, distinct Dashboard Services schemas can be used to generate a CAST dashboard per use case, sharing analysis settings but containing Snapshots of Applications at different instant of their lifecycle. To do so, simply select the right Dashboard Service schema when generating the Snapshot. Dashboard Service schema naming convention should also help operators in selecting the right Dashboard Service schema. Applications can be grouped into different Systems in different Dashboard Services schemas.