Adding a User Link
CAST defines user links as links between objects created by a user as oppose to those detected and created automatically by an analyzer.
Create and add a User Link
- Make sure the two objects you want to link are already displayed in the Graphical View.
- Click the button located on the toolbar.
- Roll the mouse pointer over the object that will act as the calling object. A gray outline will appear around the object.
- Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse pointer to the object acting as the called object:
- Release the mouse button on the required object. The link will be created and stored in the Knowledge Base.
- Once a link has been created and stored in the Knowledge Base, displaying the same two objects in another session will also display the link you have just created.
- In most circumstances, a Use (U) type link will be created for links that have been manually added. However, on occasions the application will offer you the choice of Refer (Rn) or Join (J) links. See below for more information.
Deleting a User Link
Deleting a link that you have created manually requires the same process as deleting any standard link identified during the analysis of an application. See Deleting objects and links from the Graphical View for more details.
Join and Refer user linksIn some circumstances (particularly when linking two SQL tables, two SQL views or an SQL table and an SQL view), you will be prompted to choose the type of link you want to create (Refer (Rn) or Join (J)) rather than the application creating a default Use (U) link. You can also then define the constraint itself.
- Follow the instructions in "Create and add a User Link" above to create a link.
- If the objects you are linking conform to predefined internal rules, the Create Constraint dialog box will be displayed.
- Select the type of link you want to create (Refer or Join).
- In the Constraint section, you will see the names of both the objects you are linking. The objects are linked by creating any number of constraints between any of the two objects' columns.
- Click a row under an object name and select a column with the drop down list box.
- Select a column from the second object - a constraint will then be created for the two selected columns.
- Click OK to apply the selected parameters.
- You can add as many constraints as there are columns.
Join Links Report | Adding a User File | Adding a User Object | Adding a User Rectangle