Analysis result save process has been optimized
The internal mechanism that is used to save analysis results in the CAST AIP schemas has been optimized and improved in this release of AIP. The goal of this optimization has primarily been to introduce more rigorous controls on the data that is saved to reduce inconsistencies and therefore to increase the overall accuracy of CAST AIP. In addition, performance has been stabilized. As a result of this optimization, some small changes in analysis results are to be expected when performing a new analysis/snapshot post-upgrade on unchanged source code, for example:
- Some objects, links, properties and bookmarks that flag the location of rule violations in the source code are now more rigorously checked and therefore some items may no longer be saved, notably for Universal Importer jobs, improving accuracy
- Results of metrics calculated by the Metrics Assistant may be impacted (values may be higher or lower), improving accuracy
- 7962 - Avoid direct or indirect remote calls inside a loop: previously some violations of this rule were not saved - these are now saved, improving accuracy
CAST Server Manager - CLI
The -MODIFY_COMBINED command has been optimized to improve performance when using the command to Install new extensions, upgrade existing extensions or deactivate existing extensions to an existing combined installation (Management, Analysis and Dashboard Service schemas) - equivalent to the Manage Extensions option in the GUI.
IMS/DC - support for links between Cobol Programs and IMS Transactions
CAST AIP 8.3.20 introduces support for links between Cobol Programs and IMS Transactions for IMS/DC (Data Communications). See Mainframe - IMS DC support.
IMS/DB - link type changes
Links between Cobol paragraphs/sections and DB/GSAM/ALT PCB when using DLI function have been updated as follows:
- OPEN/CLSE: (only for GSAM): accessOpenLink, accessCloseLink.
- DLET : UseDeleteLink
- GU/GHU, GN/GHN, GNP/GHNP, INQY: UseSelectLink
- ISRT: UseInsertLink
- REPL: UseUpdateLink
- Other dli calls: useLink
Avoid unchecked return code (SQLCODE) after EXEC SQL query (7690)
Several fixes have been applied to the rule Avoid unchecked return code (SQLCODE) after EXEC SQL query (7690) to reduce the number of false violations reported:
- MAINFRAME-379 - Correcting a situation where the rule is falsely violated when a paragraph contains multiple paragraphs called via IF clauses and where each of the called paragraphs contains SQL statements and where the SQL statement is checked from the parent paragraph.
- MAINFRAME-361 - Correcting a situation where the rule is falsely violated when the SQL statement is contained in parentheses.
- MAINFRAME-360 - Correcting a situation where the rule is falsely violated when the SQL statement is contained inside an IF statement of a PERFORM paragraph.
MAINFRAME-373 - Never truncate data in MOVE statements (7688)
Fixes have been applied to the rule Never truncate data in MOVE statements (7688) to reduce the number of false violations reported.
MAINFRAME-348 - CICS Return code should be checked (8162)
Fixes have been applied to the rule CICS Return code should be checked (8162) to reduce the number of false violations reported when the check statement is called via an IF statement in a variable.
JCL Symbol coverage
Improved coverage for JCL Symbol resolution:
- Support for EXEC Procedures or PGMs containing "&" such as "NAME1&VAR2"
- Support for the following situation:
- JOBs containing VAR1 = X
- and PROCs containing VAR1 = DEFAULT VALUE
- X will not be overridden, and the value in JOB is taken as a priority
CAST Transaction Configuration Center
GUI update for external end-points
An update has been made to the GUI of the CAST Transaction Configuration Center to allow users to see if an end point is external when checking the datafunction called by a transaction in a new column called Scope:
Click to enlarge
User Input Security
AIPCORE-1239 - improved SecurityAnalyzer.log
The SecurityAnalyzer.log has been improved to list the number of distinct flaws found for each analyzed target. For example, Distinct= has been added:
AIPCORE-1492 - support for bsh.Interpreter.eval
Added support for bsh.Interpreter.eval as a target for code injection.
AIPCORE-1538 - improvement to handling of constructors of System.IO.MemoryStream
Constructors of System.IO.MemoryStream are now handled correctly avoiding false positive violations to the rule Avoid file path manipulation vulnerabilities (7752).
AIPCORE-1585 - improved coverage of database access methods from the .NET framework
Access to database methods of the .NET Framework are now handled more accurately. As a consequence, some false positives may be removed and new true positives may be found for the rule Avoid SQL injection vulnerabilities (7742).