What information does the Violation Viewer provide?
The CAST Dashboard has a built in feature in several views that provides access to a unified "Violation viewer" which provides:
- information about the status of a violation (new/old or otherwise) and for a Health Factor, the PRI (Propagated Risk Index), VI (Violation index) and RPF (Risk Propagation Factor) values in an expandable section:
- a full description of the Quality Rule that has been violated in an expandable section:
- a full description of the object that has violated the Quality Rule in an expandable section:
- the code (where available) of the object that has violated the Quality Rule:
- violation bookmarks (i.e. multiple violations of a Quality Rule occurring in one piece of code) where applicable (click the links to automatically jump to the section of code that violates the rule):
Note that with regard to bookmarks to violations in COBOL code (and more specifically with regard to COPYBOOK code), the Violation viewer will place the bookmark to the object data on the first line of the comment (rather than the first line of the data declaration itself). This is because when the comment lines are located just before a COPY statement they are attached to the first object described in the COPYBOOK.
- in the case of the J2EE/.NET User Input Security feature, the Violation viewer will also display the sequence of paths (Violation Paths section) and objects (Involved Objects section) that justify the raised violation together with highlighting of lines of code involved:
- Identification of groups of objects violating a Quality Rule (for example Avoid Too Many Copy-Pasted Artifacts):
Note that the Violation viewer will "auto-update" to reflect selections made on the page in question. For example, when working in the Risk Indicators - Object Level the Violation Viewer will update when a new Violation is selected.
Accessing the Viewer
You can access the Viewer from:
- Investigation - Application Drilldown > Select an object in the left hand Browsing Tree and then choose any of the By Rule, By Object or By Violation tabs. The Viewer is located at the bottom of the page:
- Investigation - Quality Model Drilldown > When an object is selected in the middle panel and the Source Code tab is selected in the lower panel:
- Risk Indicators - Object Level > When a violation is selected in the middle panel the lower panel will display the code of the object in violation:
- Improvement - Action Plan > When a violation is selected in the upper panel the lower panel will display the code of the object in violation:
Source code availability
If you would like to view source code for new or existing projects, please ensure that the Always upload source code for viewing in CAST Dashboard option (at Technology level thus valid for all future snapshots) is activated:
This option is activated by default, but if you are working with Analysis Services that have been "imported" into the CAST Management Studio following an upgrade from a previous version of CAST, you may find that this option is not active.