Access to the CAST RestAPI from the machine on which you are installing Apache Drill.
|Oracle JDK 7 installed (not JRE) in your environment (you may need to configure the JAVA_HOME global variable to point to your ORACLE JDK install folder)|
Installation and configuration instructions
There are various parts to the installation process, each is described below:
Install Apache Drill
The following is a summary of the installation process to install Apache Drill in embedded mode on a Windows OS. For installation in distributed mode or on any other supported platform, please refer to the Apache Drill documentation.
- Download the latest version of Apache Drill: http://drill.apache.org/download/
- Move the downloaded file to a directory where you want to install Apache Drill.
- Unzip the downloaded GZ file using a third-party tool (such as 7-zip). If the tool you use does not unzip the underlying TAR file as well as the GZ file, perform a second unzip on the TAR file to extract the Drill software. The extraction process creates the installation directory containing the Drill software.
Start the Drill shell using the sqlline command as follows:
- Open Command Prompt (cmd).
- Navigate to the Drill installation folder.
- Navigate to the bin directory: cd bin
- Type the following command: sqlline.bat -u "jdbc:drill:zk=local"
If you would like to to know more about installing Apache Drill, please see https://drill.apache.org/docs/drill-in-10-minutes/ for more information.
Install ODBC/ JDBC Driver
MapR provides an ODBC driver that connects Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux to Apache Drill and BI tools. The MapR Drill ODBC Driver installer is available for 32- and 64-bit applications on Windows. Both versions of the driver can be installed on a 64-bit machine.
Make sure you select the 32 or 64bit version based on the bitness of the client application from which you want to create an ODBC connection.
- To check the version of Microsoft Office (Excel) see the following this link.
- For other client application please consult the relevant documentation for your installed version
To install the MapR Drill ODBC Driver.
- Step 1: Download the MapR Drill ODBC Driver that corresponds to the bitness of the client application from which you want to create an ODBC connection:
- Step 2: Install the MapR Drill ODBC Driver
- Double-click the installer from the location where you downloaded it.
- Click Next.
- Select the check box to accept the terms of the License Agreement and click Next.
- Verify or change the install location. Then, click Next.
- Click Install.
- When the installation completes, click Finish.
- Step 3: To configure the ODBC driver (on Windows), complete the following steps:
- Click Start, and locate the ODBC Administrator app that you installed, and click ODBC Administrator to start the app. For a 32-bit installation this is located here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
- The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog appears:
- Add a new data source and select MapR ODBC drive you just installed and click Finish.
The MapR Drill ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog appears with a preconfigured sample DSN. The following screenshot shows a possible DSN configuration for using Drill in embedded mode. For compatibility with report add-on we recommend you name your Data source MapR as shown in the picture below:
- Click the Test button to test your set up