When you first launch the CAST Management Studio, no Applications will be visible in the Applications view. Before you can do anything in the CAST Management Studio (analyze source code, generate snapshots etc.), you must first create an Application - Applications are entities within a system (for example Invoicing and Debt Recovery applications within a Billing System).
To add a new Application:
- In the Applications view:
- Click the button
- Right click whitespace and select Add application
- Use the dropdown menu icon ( ) located on the menu bar
- The Add Application wizard will then be displayed:
- Enter a Name for your Application - remember that this will be visible in the CAST Application Analytics Dashboard/CAST Engineering Dashboard.
- Then choose from the available options:
You use the CAST AIC Portal to deliver the source code
Choose this option if you have dedicated Delivery Managers on your team who will package the source code and deliver it for you:
- Take note of the Application ID - this is very important. This ID is unique to the Application and you need to give this to each Delivery Manager that will package source code for the Application - the ID ensures that the Delivery Manager is authorized to configure the application. You can also enable email reporting which will also send the Application ID to the Delivery Managers - you first need to ensure that you have configured an SMTP server (see Preferences - Mail):
- Enable the Send mail option and enter a valid email address in the Delivery Manager's email address - note that you can enter multiple addresses in this field separated with a comma - CAST recommends that the AI Administrator and the CAST Delivery Manager(s) are added to the list.
- Enter the URL of your CAST AIC Portal into the CAST AIC Portal URL field. In this example, the CAST AIC Portal is located on a remote host: http://cemaes/CAST-DeliveryServer/
- Enter a header message if required (optional). This will be appended to the email sent to the recipients listed in the Delivery Manager's email address field.
- Click Finish to complete the creation process.
- The Application will be added and displayed in the Applications view and the Application editor will be opened.
- If the Send mail (if configured) option was activated, an email will be sent to those in the recipient list with details of the CAST AIC Portal URL (where then can download the CAST Delivery Manager Tool) and the Application ID.
You don't use the CAST AIC Portal to deliver the source code
Choose this option if you (as the CAST AI Administrator) are packaging the source code in the CAST Delivery Manager Tool yourself - in other words if you have no dedicated Delivery Managers on your team. The following wizard screen will then be displayed enabling you to configure the first "Version":
- Choose a Name for your Version (something like V1 or an internal code name is recommended). The Version name will be visible in the CAST Dashboard.
- Choose a Release Date using year, month, day, hour and minutes - this refers to the date your source code was released.
- The Start DMT option is selected by default - this will launch the CAST Delivery Manager Tool immediately after clicking the Finish button enabling you to package the source code you require. You do not have to select this now - you can launch the CAST Delivery Manager Tool at a later time using the Manage Delivery option in the Delivery tab (Application editor).
- Click Finish to complete the configuration.
- Depending on the choice made for the option Start Delivery, either:
You want to import an Application backup
Choose this option if you have a backup of an Application in .CASTAppBck form - it allows you to import this Application together with its Versions, Analysis Units and configuration options:
- Choose the .CASTAppBck file containing your Application backup (using the Browse button).
- Click Finish to complete the process.
- The Application and any associated items will be imported and restored: the Application will be displayed in the Applications view and the Application editor will be opened.
If an Application with the same name (but different Application ID) already exists, the CAST Management Studio will display an error - it is not possible to import an Application with the same name as an existing Application (in other words a "merge" is not possible).