The CAST Update Tool (CUT) is designed to bulk upgrade CAST schemas. It allows the upgrade of one or multiple Management Services and their corresponding Analysis and Dashboard Services from a given version to the latest installed version. This process will upgrade all the associated schemas simultaneously.
Upgrading databases using the Graphical User Interface (CUT.exe)
- The GUI mode of the CAST Update Tool can be launched from the short cuts present in the Windows Start menu. For example:
- Start > All Programs > CAST > <version> > CAST Update Tool (CUT)
- Once the GUI is launched, CUT will attempt to connect to all RDBMS/CSS that are defined in CAST Management Studio Connection Profiles stored on the local hard drive:
- The CAST Update Tool lists all Management Services and corresponding Analysis and Dashboard Services (multiple Analysis and Dashboard Services attached to the same Management Service are supported) whose version numbers are equivalent to or lower than the version number of CUT.
- The tool will inspect the cast-ms.connectionProfiles.pmx file (located in %APPDATA%\CAST\CAST\<version>) that describes connections to Management Services and will therefore only list the Analysis/Dashboard Services whose corresponding Management Services are registered in the .pmx file. The tool will list all the services irrespective of their status and version of CAST AIP (same or lower than the version being used) that are declared in the .pmx file.
- Determine the status of the Services that are listed and select those you would like to upgrade (i.e. those marked not up-to-date) using the check box. The status of a Service can be any of those listed below:
|Up to date||Schemas that are up to date with the current version of CAST AIP (i.e. the version of CUT being run)|
|Not up to date||Schemas that are running in an older version of CAST AIP (i.e. the version of CUT being run) and can be upgraded.|
|Invalid||Schemas that are either running an unsupported version or are incorrectly installed.|
|Unreachable||Schemas that cannot be accessed (due to host RDBMS issues or other network issues)|
|Invalid Connection||When CUT is not compatible with the way the schemas is configured i.e. the Analysis/Dashboard Service names are different from the Oracle user name used to connect to them (only for Oracle).|
|Locked||This indicates that the schemas are locked - to unlock them, use CAST Server Manager and right click the locked schemas and then select Troubleshooting > Remove Locks. Once this has been done, click the Update button in CUT and validate the status of the schema.|
You will now be asked to choose an option with regard to the handling of the Assessment Model during the update - note that no option will be pre-selected so you MUST choose an option that meets your needs (see explanation in Upgrading to CAST AIP 8.2.x):
- Click the Update button in the lower right hand corner of the GUI to start the upgrade process. Upon clicking Update a confirmation window appears with details of the Services selected for upgrade:
- Choose Update if you wish to proceed.
- Upon selecting Yes the below screen appears and the upgrade process starts. If you select No you will remain on the same page enabling you to make a new selection.
|Process Summary||Shows a summary of the number of updated Services along with the success and failed count.|
|Updates in progress||Displays the Services currently being updated.|
|Lower section||Displays the Services currently in the queue waiting to be updated.|
- Wait until upgrade process has fully completed.
- Once the upgrade is complete refer to the Report Status for more details about the upgrade and the status of the Services from the Summary Log:
Options available in the tool
While upgrading, the following features can be used:
|Abort||Using this button will stop the current update of the selected Services only after 'Yes' is selected from the confirmation window.|
|Cancel Queue||Using this button will cancel any pending update jobs.|
|Safety Period||Using this option you can set a time delay between the execution of two updates. This feature is found under the Edit > Options menu where we can set the period to a value in milliseconds. The minimum value for the safety period is 30000ms which is displayed by default and the maximum value can be given to any extent.|
Consulting the report, configuration and log files
The configuration files and logs files are stored in the CUT directory (%TEMP%\CAST\CAST\<version>\CUT). The following files are of interest:
- The complete upgrade report: Report-DD_MM_YYYY-HH_MM_SSS.xml (Errors and upgrade status of the reports)
- The CAST Server Manager report log-database-descriptor-<SCHEMA>-DD_MM_YYYY-HH_MM_SSS.castlog (same as the CAST Server Manager standard log).
- The Configuration file database-descriptor-<SCHEMA>-DD_MM_YYYY-HH_MM_SSS.xml (the configuration file is used by CAST Server Manager. One configuration file will exist for each upgraded schema).