When a database/schemas is delivered in V1 from Server A / Instance 1 and is then delivered in V2 from Server B / Instance 2 the default behavior on re-analysis of the same database/schema on a different Server or Instance will consider that the database/schema is in fact two separate databases/schemas even though they have the same name. This causes "noise" when consulting version comparison data (the database/schema will appear as deleted / added between V1 and V2 snapshots), in violation monitoring (removed / added) and it invalidates the content of the Action Plan.
If you find yourself in this situation, you can use a tool provided by CAST that will automatically modify the V2 database/schema extraction data to contain the same Server / Instance name as used in V1. In this way, the database/schema will not be considered new in snapshot V2. The tool must be run BEFORE you generate the V2 snapshot. To do so:
- In the CAST Management Studio, open the Application containing your Microsoft/Sybase database Analysis Unit.
- Click the Content Enrichment tab:
- In the Tools before analysis section, click the button and select Add new external program:
- In the configuration panel, fill in the following fields:
|1||Enter a name for the tool "job" - use a name that is easy to distinguish.|
|2||Ensure the Will be processed option is selected|
|3||Enter the path to the TKBTools.exe file which can be found in the root of your CAST installation folder.|
Enter the following arguments in the Program arguments field:
So, for example if the database/schema in V1 was extracted by the CAST Delivery Manager Tool from Instance "INSTANCE_A" and the database/schema extraction in V2 was deployed to the Deployment path "D:\Deploy\MEUDON\TSQL_PACKAGE", you would enter the following arguments:
This will modify the V2 extraction data in "D:\Deploy\MEUDON\PACKAGE_NAME" and ensure that the instance name is changed to the instance used in V1 (INSTANCE_A).
- Whenever you run the V2 analysis, the tool job will also be run ensuring that the V2 extraction data is modified to match the V1 instance name.
- Remember to modify the tool "job" in V3 if the schema is being delivered from a new instance in V3.