Sizing Model tab
This tab governs the Sizing part of the Assessment Model, i.e. it governs how the analyzed source code will be measured in terms of Technical and Functional Size.
The tab is divided into two distinct parts:
- a list of Sizing Measures
- and a separate editor to configure/edit each Sizing Measure with various sub tabs
List of Sizing Measures
This section simply lists the Sizing Measures. The below example is taken from the standard CAST supplied Assessment Model (see Assessment Models view):
To add a new Sizing Measure:
- Click the button, a new Sizing Measure called "My Sizing Measure" will be displayed in the list.
- Configure the item using the section below
To edit an existing Sizing Measure:
- Select the item in the list
- Edit the item using the section below
To remove an existing Sizing Measure:
- Select the item in the list
- Click the button - this action cannot be undone. Once removed, an item is no longer part of the Assessment Model and is no longer referenced anywhere (including in the CAST Engineering Dashboard).
Sizing Measure editor
This editor allows you to configure/edit each selected Sizing Measure - it displays the details of a Sizing Measure selected in the above list:
|Name||Displays the name of your Sizing Measure. |
You can edit the field by selecting it and then modifying or replacing as appropriate. Please see Naming constraints for more information.
|Active||Use this option to activate/deactivate the Sizing Measure. If deactivated, the item will not be taken into account during the snapshot generation process. |
This is designed to be a temporary action, i.e. it can be changed easily and quickly between snapshots.
|Detached||Use this option to indicate whether the Sizing Measure is "detached" or not. In this instance the item will no longer be included in the snapshot calculation. |
When an item is set as Detached, essentially, this is a "delete" action, but the item is preserved in the Assessment Model to avoid a situation where a new item could use the same ID and potentially cause a data incoherence. In addition, the item will still be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard if you consult old snapshots where the item in question was still current.
The editor is itself divided into several sub tabs, each is explained below:
This tab governs what is displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard with regard to the selected Sizing Measure. There are various sub sections:
- Name Translations > use this tab to define translations of the Sizing Measure name. You can configure translations for German, French and Italian - tick the check box to activate the configuration. Translations of the name will be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard when a CAST Engineering Dashboard user is configured to use one of the above languages.
- Sizing Measure type > use this option to select the measure type you require:
- Functional Size
- Run-time statistics
- Technical Debt Statistics
- Technical Size
- Description > use this tab to define the Sizing Measure type (Functional Size/Run-time Statistics/Technical Size - this defines what category the Sizing Measure will be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard) - note this can also be configured in the List of Sizing Measure section described above) and a description of the Sizing Measure - tick the check box to activate the description configuration. You can also define a translation of the description for German, French and Italian. Translations of the description will be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard when a CAST Engineering Dashboard user is configured to use one of the above languages.
- Short Name > use this tab to define the Sizing Measure's short name, i.e. a shortened name for ease of display - tick the check box to activate the short name configuration. You can also define a translation of the short name for German, French and Italian. Translations of the short name will be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard when a CAST Engineering Dashboard user is configured to use one of the above languages.
Computing Settings tab
This tab governs how the Sizing Measure is actually calculated:
- Configuration of the mechanism used to compute the measure value
To configure the Sizing Measure:
- enter the name of the SQL procedure that will initialize the processing of the categories
- then choose the Aggregation Type (type of aggregation used when computing objects values) - either Count Objects or Sum Values. For example, if the Sizing Measure returns 10 objects with X values then:
- Count Objects > selecting this option will display (in the CAST Engineering Dashboard) the number of objects (10 in the example above) returned by the Sizing Measure.
- Sum Values > selecting this option will display (in the CAST Engineering Dashboard) the sum of the X values of the number objects returned by the Sizing Measure.
This tab governs the External ID of the current entity. The External ID is simply a numeric ID that uniquely identifies the entity. External IDs must be unique across all Business Criterion, Technical Criterion, Quality Rules, Quality Distributions, Quality Measures, Sizing Measures and Background Facts.
CAST recommends letting the CAST Management Studio manage the IDs for you:
- Existing ID > you should only update an existing ID if you need to resolve an ID conflict:
- Click the Update URL and a dialog box will prompt you to enter the new External ID. If the chosen External ID is already assigned to another item, then the CAST Management Studio will suggest the next available increment and ask for confirmation.
- Note that for in order for the change to be taken into account in correctly in the CAST Engineering Dashboard:
- ID at 0 for new Business Criterion > if you leave the External IDs at 0, the CAST Management Studio will assign the IDs when the Assessment Model is synchronized with the Dashboard Service.
Note that IDs are reserved as follows:
|ID above 2 000 000||Reserved for customers|
|ID above 1 500 000 and below 2 000 000||Reserved for field consultants|
|ID above 1 000 000 and below 1 500 000||reserved for built-in packages created by CAST|
|ID above 0 and below 1 000 000||reserved for CAST R&D and products|
The Notes tab is simply an area that you can use to make notes or remarks about the selected item.