Background Facts tab
This tab governs the Background Facts part of the Assessment Model, i.e. it governs external facts that can be uploaded at Snapshot generation time to provide more context (formerly known as Productivity Metrics). These Background Facts are declared in an XML file, see: Configuring the Background Facts upload file for more information.
The tab is divided into two distinct parts:
- a list of Background Facts
- and a section to configure/edit each Background Fact with various sub tabs
List of Background Facts
This section simply lists the Background Facts. The below example is taken from the standard CAST supplied Assessment Model (see Assessment Models view):
To add a new Background Fact:
- Click the button, a new Background Fact called "My Background Fact" will be displayed in the list.
- Configure the item using the section below
To edit an existing Background Fact:
- Select the item in the list
- Edit the item using the section below
To remove an existing Background Fact:
- Select the item in the list
- Click the button - this action cannot be undone. Once removed, an item is no longer part of the Assessment Model and is no longer referenced anywhere (including in the CAST Engineering Dashboard).
Background Fact editor
This section allows you to configure/edit each selected Background Fact - it displays the details of a Background Fact selected in the above list. It is further divided into sub-tabs, each of which is explained below:
|Name||Displays the name of your Background Fact. |
You can edit the field by selecting it and then modifying or replacing as appropriate. Please see Naming constraints for more information.
The editor is itself divided into several sub tabs, each is explained below:
This tab governs what is displayed in the CAST Dashboard with regard to the selected Background Fact. There are various sub tabs:
- Name Translations > use this tab to define translations of the Background Fact name. You can configure translations for German, French and Italian - tick the check box to activate the configuration. Translations of the name will be displayed in the CAST Engineering Dashboard when a CAST Engineering Dashboard user is configured to use one of the above languages.
- Description > use this tab to define a description of the Background Fact - tick the check box to activate the description configuration. You can also define a translation of the description for German, French and Italian. Translations of the description will be displayed in the CAST Dashboard when a CAST Dashboard user is configured to use one of the above languages.
This tab governs the External ID of the current entity. The External ID is simply a numeric ID that uniquely identifies the entity. External IDs must be unique across all Business Criterion, Technical Criterion, Quality Rules, Quality Distributions, Quality Measures, Sizing Measures and Background Facts.
CAST recommends letting the CAST Management Studio manage the IDs for you:
- Existing ID > you should only update an existing ID if you need to resolve an ID conflict:
- Click the Update URL and a dialog box will prompt you to enter the new External ID. If the chosen External ID is already assigned to another item, then the CAST Management Studio will suggest the next available increment and ask for confirmation.
- Note that for in order for the change to be taken into account in correctly in the CAST Dashboard:
- ID at 0 for new Business Criterion > if you leave the External IDs at 0, the CAST Management Studio will assign the IDs when the Assessment Model is synchronized with the Dashboard Service.
Note that IDs are reserved as follows:
|ID above 2 000 000||Reserved for customers|
|ID above 1 500 000 and below 2 000 000||Reserved for field consultants|
|ID above 1 000 000 and below 1 500 000||reserved for built-in packages created by CAST|
|ID above 0 and below 1 000 000||reserved for CAST R&D and products|
The Notes tab is simply an area that you can use to make notes or remarks about the selected item.